What is the Sol Rally?
Sol Rally Barbados is the largest annual international motorsport event in the Caribbean. This year will be the 28th Anniversary of the International All-Stage Rally and the 11th year that Sol will be the names sponsor. Since its inception in 1990, this rally has hosted more than 350 drivers from almost 30 countries. There are many drivers from Barbados and the Caribbean, but most drivers are from the UK and Ireland. Competitors from Australia, Kenya, Japan, South Africa, Canada, the USA and Europe have competed in the past.
This year 42 overseas cars will arrive on the island to compete. To see the full list of competitors, visit Rally Barbados.
When is the 2018 Sol Rally?
The Sol Rally runs from Friday, June 1st to Sunday, June 3rd 2018.
Where should I go to watch?
Vaucluse Raceway is the place to be on Friday, June 1st for the opening ceremony at 6:30pm. Saturday is a full day starting at 10:30 am at Greenland and running until 8:30 pm at Sailor Gully. The total stage distance for leg 1 is 69.8 km. We recommend heading to Sailor Gully or Hangman’s Hill on Saturday.
Sunday begins at 9:30 at the Bushy Park Raceway. We recommend watching at Kendal or Malvern before catching the ending at Bushy Park at 4:15 pm. The total stage distance of leg 2 is 58.4 km making the overall distance 128.2 km.
For the full schedule visit Barbados Motorsport.
What should I take?
Sol Rally is a full day event. Roads are blocked during stages so try to get there early with everything you will need for the day. We recommend taking the following:
- Beach chairs or towels to sit on
- Umbrella or hat for shade
- A cooler full of drinks (don’t forget water too)
- Food and snacks
- A camera – that shoots good video
- Spending money to buy food and drinks
Sol Rally Tips:
- Be sure to get to the stages early as the road will be closed for the event.
- Keep your distance as spectators, you never know when a driver may lose control.
- Listen to Sol Rally Staff and Volunteers.
- Pack everything you need from the night before – it’s an early start.
- Leave the rally driving to the rally drivers, no racing on public roads
- Please DO NOT drink and drive.
If you are attending the 2018 Sol Rally, you are in for a high-speed treat! The Sol Rally never disappoints. To read more of our blog posts on events in Barbados visit our Boho Blog.